Disassociation of a Contractor’s License Qualifier

Audrey J. Powers

What is the disassociation of a contractor’s license qualifier and how can it effect your license?

A qualifier of a contractor’s license can remove him or herself from a license at any time and for any reason. They may be leaving to qualify another license, or perhaps retiring.

The disassociation of a qualifier can be a tricky issue especially when it comes to timing. The smoothest transition from one qualifier to another takes place when an Application for Replacing the Qualifying Individual is submitted to the Contractors State License Board, and the box is checked indicating that the current qualifier will remain until that application is approved and completed.

Many times, the qualifier disassociates himself. This can put a license into automatic or future suspension depending on whether the RMO back dates the disassociation date up to 90 days prior to submitting the form.

If the qualifier uses today’s date, for example, the license will have 90 days to replace him/her with another RMO/E. That is generally enough time for the licensee to submit an application, have the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) process it, issue a test date if necessary, and for the new qualifier to take the CSLB exams, if required.

If something comes up during that 90-day period where the applicant feels that they are not going to be able to complete the application process in time, they can ask for a 90 extension. Potentially giving the license six months to complete the process before the license is suspended for lack of a qualifier.

The CSLB states: “When an RME or RMO disassociates from a license, the licensee or the RME or RMO must notify the Registrar in writing. The licensee must replace the qualifier within 90 days of the disassociation date. Failure to replace the qualifier within 90 days results in the automatic suspension of the license or removal of the classification. If a licensee is unable to replace the RME or RMO within the 90-day period, a 90-day extension can be requested. An extension request will only be considered if received within 90 days from the date of the Board’s notice that the license will be suspended, or the classification removed and if an application has been made to CSLB to replace the qualifying individual.”

If you need to file a disassociation form, or your qualifier has filed the form and you need to replace him or her, I can help you with all aspects of the process. You can call or email me for more information.

Leave a Reply

Next Post

Online Car Dealers: Revolutionizing the Automotive Industry

The automotive industry is undergoing a seismic shift, fundamentally transforming how we buy and sell cars. The advent of online car dealers has marked the beginning of a new era, an era where convenience, efficiency, and innovation take the front seat. This revolution is not just changing the market; it’s […]

You May Like