When selling your house, a good first impression makes all the difference. That’s why it pays to invest in your property before you put it on the market. Attention-grabbing exterior projects are particularly effective because they improve curb appeal. With the right approach, you can expect your home to sell faster and at a higher price. Here are four exterior projects we recommend this fall based on the Remodeling Impact Report.
Replacing Your Front Door
The entry door is the first impression people have when they walk toward your home, making it a critical element for good curb appeal. A new front entry door can increase home value by about $1,500 to $2,000, depending on the material and manufacturing quality, providing an average return on investment of 75%.
Three popular front door materials include:
- Wood: Built for strength, durability, and beauty, wood entry doors are a gorgeous addition to any home.
- Steel: When home security is paramount, a steel front door is your best bet. Convincing wood grain and numerous color options make steel doors artful and heavy-duty.
- Fiberglass: This material is engineered to resist warping, denting, cracking, and splitting.
Repairing the Roof
If your roof is in poor condition, you’ll want to repair or replace it before attempting to sell your home this fall. Otherwise, you’ll have to contend with fewer offers, a lengthier sale process, and low bids from potential buyers.
You’ll be pleased to learn that roof repair and replacement offer returns topping 100%, meaning these services can increase home value by more than the amount you spent on them! At the same time, the investment makes your home more aesthetically pleasing and increases the chance of selling your home faster.
Here are the signs your roof needs repair:
- Loose or missing shingles
- Rusted metal components
- Split or damaged shingles
- Missing granules from asphalt shingles
- Water damage in the attic
Updating Your Windows
New windows are an aesthetic-improving, revenue-returning exterior project — as long as they are installed correctly. Leave the job to a professional for the best results. Depending on your chosen material, you can expect professionally installed windows to increase home value by $16,000 to $20,000, a return on investment of 57% to 71%.
Prioritize replacing your windows this fall if you spot any of these signs:
- Faulty operation
- Drafty rooms
- Condensation between the panes
- Faded carpet and furniture
- Outdoor noises coming through the window
Installing New Siding
Your home’s siding is one of its most noticeable exterior features. If it’s showing signs of wear and tear, consider replacing your siding this fall for an increased home value of $10,000 to $15,000 and a return on investment of 63% to 76%, depending on the siding material you choose.
Some of the most popular types of siding include:
- Vinyl siding: Choose from countless colors, textures, and styles to match almost any home architecture.
- James Hardie fiber cement siding: This durable, long-lasting material offers superior resistance to fading and mold growth.
- Natural cedar and wood siding: Timeless and elegant, these siding materials can withstand the elements when treated with a protective finish.
- PVC/composite siding: Modern PVC/composite siding is super strong yet lightweight, able to resist rot, insects, and weather damage for a long life span.
- Aluminum siding: Custom fabrication makes it easy to match your home’s architectural style with this heavy-duty siding material.
Complete These Value-Adding Projects With Help From Beyond Exteriors
Fall is the best time to work on these exterior projects. You’ll stay ahead of stormy winter weather, which is good news whether you’re planning to sell your home before the end of the year or waiting until next spring.
Because this season is cool enough to comfortably get these projects done, be sure to schedule professional services now before it’s too late. Our professional installers at Beyond Exteriors are ready to help.
To request a free estimate for exterior home improvements, please call Beyond Exteriors at (703) 830-0863 or contact us online.